Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic #3 MOT

In case anyone has not seen it

From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

There’s separate guidance about what to do if your MOT due date is up to and including 29 March 2020.

There are different temporary rules for MOT tests for lorries, buses and trailers.

What you need to do

You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.

ExampleYour vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 April 2020.

This will automatically be extended to 3 October 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.

You can check your MOT history to see when you have been issued an exemption. It will not be updated straight away, so keep checking back if your new due date MOT is not yet showing.

You will not get a paper exemption certificate.

If your vehicle tax is due, you can tax your vehicle as soon as your MOT due date has been updated.

If your vehicle’s first MOT is due

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption from the date its first MOT was due.

If your first MOT was due before 30 March 2020 and your vehicle did not pass

Your vehicle will not get an extension to its MOT due date.

Your vehicle will need to pass an MOT before you can drive it again.

The government is allowing MOT centres and garages to remain open. So you can still get an MOT if you need your vehicle:

  • to shop for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
  • for any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
  • to travel to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home

Read the full guidance on staying at home and away from others.

Keep your vehicle safe to drive

You must make sure your vehicle is safe to drive (‘roadworthy’). It can be unsafe even if your MOT expiry date has been extended.

Find out how to check your vehicle is safe and read the rules about vehicle maintenance, safety and security.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

You should still take your vehicle to be repaired at the nearest open garage. The government is allowing them to remain open.

Published 25 March 2020

Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic #1

Dear member

Your committee has over the last few days been discussing how we respond as a club to various scenarios, caused due to Coronavirus. Obviously the Health of the Membership is the Highest Priority to us all.

Following the advice from the Government in particular.(Paraphrased)

  • Everyone should avoid gatherings with friends and family, as well as large gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres.
  • By next weekend, those with the most serious health conditions and over 70’s must be “largely shielded from social contact for around 12 weeks”

We are taking the following action, there will be no formal club meeting until at least the end of May (March Sundays Meeting, and Wednesday and Sunday Meetings in April and May). If members wish to gather at The Aviator on those dates/times that will be a personal decision, but there will be no formal club activity. We will advise further going forward as I would imagine the advice will develop.

In respect of events that have been booked such as the 29th March Brampton Halt lunch, then this must be a members own personal decision if they wish to attend. (Equally although a few months away the Wansford Fish and Chips Evening). Events such as Hollowell, Kimbolton etc, assuming they are not cancelled will again be a members personal decision if they attend.

We will try our best and keep up with events as they are cancelled and notify people, and in particular if we hear The Aviator is closed. We will look to post messages on the clubs Facebook Page and email members with any updates, as they happen.

At present we have not cancelled the Rose of The Shires run, and will be making a decision in the next few week, to see how the situation develops.

It’s very unfortunate we are having to make these decisions just as (hopefully) the weather is starting to improve, but everyone’s Health is the prime concern.

We are awaiting to see how thing develop but will be looking at membership fees once thing return to normality.

Best Wishes to Everyone and Stay Healthy

Gary on behalf of the Northants MG Owners Club Committee.